Tuesday, June 23, 2009


Graphing Bell Curves in Excel !!!

I always wanted to figure out a way to plot bell curves for my math classes to see how they scored relative to each other. One of the problems was the fact that I was limited to what programs I had access to on the school computers. After some research, I found a nifty way to plot a normal distribution using excel. After seeing how many steps it took and the amount of tools needed, I thought it would be a great idea to incorporate these findings into a probability and statistics unit.

I researched the techniques used in this unit by first reading a few forums regarding generating random numbers in Excel. After I saw how this could be done, I then fooling around in Excel implementing the new findings with techniques from experimenting withing the program.

The lessons generated will not only give the student understanding of average and distribution of samples, but will get the students using many different tools within Excel. This is a great springboard for more advanced topics using excel when using large lists of data.

click here to view the standards and lessons plans. (click on the bookmarks tab within the pdf for easy navigation)


Links: evidence of development of technical expertise, standards & lesson plans

No comments: